Lecture on "Concordism" at Dickinson College

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 15:46:12 EDT

    Next Thursday I am to speak at Dickinson College (Carlisle, PA) on
    "concordism" or "progressive creationism." Details are below. If anyone on
    the list plans to come, please let me know and I'll look for you!

    ted

    "Reading God's Two Books: The Harmony of Nature and Scripture in
    Nineteenth-Century America"

    Lecture at Dickinson College
    Thursday, Oct 2, 2004, at 7:00 pm

    Speaker: Edward B. Davis, Distinguished Professor of the History of
    Science, Messiah College, Grantham, PA

    Location: Denny Hall, room 317
    West & High Streets, Carlisle, PA

    ABSTRACT of lecture: American thinking about religion and science in the
    first half of the nineteenth century was substantially informed by the
    powerful metaphor of God as the "author"of two "books," nature and
    scripture, which ultimately must agree. As evolution began to be accepted,
    however, this "harmony" model proved difficult to maintain. It has been
    rejected on the one hand by theistic evolutionists, who tend either to
    separate theology from science or else to reshape theology along scientific
    lines; and on the other hand by scientific creationists, who tend to reshape
    science to conform to their interpretation of scripture. This lecture
    outlines the history of the "harmony" model and offers suggestions about
    how contemporary Christian thinkers might constructively engage modern
    science.

    For further information, contact: Dr. John Bombaro, Director, The John
    Newton International Center for Christian Studies, Carlisle, PA.
    717-243-2069.