Re: RFEP & ID

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 09:59:24 EDT

    Howard wrote:
    > As far as I can tell, ID and the RFEP are considered incompatible. One of
    > the fundamental tenets of the ID position is that the formational economy
    of
    > the universe is incomplete (unable to actualize certain biotic systems)
    and
    > that the gaps in it (formed by missing formational capabilities) are
    > empirically verifiable.

    I don't see how ID can be empirically verifiable either. However, it seems
    to me that RFEP is in the same boat? Since we cannot directly observe the
    evolution of a flagellum(or some other complex system), an inference must be
    made instead. Of course, science is driven by challenges to inference. ID
    claims that RFEP cannot account for certain types of complex systems. That
    presents a difficult challenge for Darwinians. It would mean that they would
    have to make a detailed compelling case of reverse engineering what ID calls
    a "specifically complex" or "irreducibly complex" system. I don't know if
    someone has already done that(I would be interest in that) but Franklin
    Harold, a professor emeritus of cell biology at Colorado State University.
    said in _The Way of the Cell_ Oxford University Press(2001 p.205) that
    "There are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any
    biochemical or cellular system, only a variety of wishful speculations." Is
    this just an impossible task to do? If not, seems to me Darwinian proponents
    could put a quick end to the debate by producing a few such examples. My
    guess is that something like that is not forthcoming and to this point its
    all just a bunch of handwaving on both sides with no real resolution in
    site.

    Steve Petermann