Re: YEC Lecture notes -- part 2

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 18:42:34 EDT

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, John W Burgeson wrote:

    > I continue with the second part of my notes from the Durango YEC lecture,
    > 9/20/03. Again, portions in parentheses are my comments -- the rest are
    > my notes on what was said.
    > ---------
    >
    > Scripture says Adam and Eve were made AT THE BEGINNING, and so the model
    > of a young earth and old universe is falsified. Q. E. D.
    >
    > If you say otherwise, you are saying Jesus Christ was a liar. (Again, no
    > caveat).

    Mark 10:6 says that Adam and Eve were made at the beginning of creation.
    See also II Peter 3:4 for another occurrence of this phrase. In both cases
    the context implies that the Scripture is talking about the time when
    the creation was completed rather than just commenced. I seem to recall
    that the Greek word ktisis was used, a word that is often translated
    creature. This seems to imply to me that the word is not referring to the
    period of creation, but rather to the completed product, and so the time
    of completion should be the beginning that is referred to.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395