Re: C.S. Lewis on ETs and theology

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 16:24:46 EDT

    Dr. Nelson wrote:
    > I did anything but merely pass off your questions, but
    > tried (apparently not to your satisfaction) to address
    > all of them.

    Okay. Here goes: In what follows I'm assuming that there is some *concrete*
    salvic benefit incurred by the incarnation of the second person of the
    trinity, life, death and resurrection of Jesus here on earth. I'm also
    assuming that it would rather arrogant of us to assume that the salvation of
    all ET's everywhere were dependent on what happened on this planet. So, if
    there turns out to be ET's out there:

    1) Is another incarnation, life, death and resurrection of the second person
    of the trinity necessary for their salvation? Or at least an incarnation at
    some point in the planet's history?
    2) Is there a limited scope to any particular salvic scheme? Country?
    World? Solar system? Galaxy?
    3) If I move from one planet to another, am I covered by the salvic scheme
    of my previous planet or the new one?
    4) If there can be different salvic schemes on different planets does that
    mean that there can be different salvic schemes on this planet as well, say
    by another religion in another part of the world or can there only be one
    salvic scheme per planet?
    5) Assuming that ET's may be very different than us, is salvation species
    specific? In other words if there are more than one sentient species on a
    planet, does the second person of the trinity have to incarnate in each?

    That should be enough. I know it sounds like I'm just trying to be
    obnoxious but that's not it at all. It was around this very issue that I
    came to reject the "concrete" idea of the Christ. That does not, however,
    mean I reject the symbol of the incarnation, cross and resurrection. Can
    Christianity survive without a concrete Christ?

    Steve Petermann