Re: Questions to Allen Roy

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 09:07:46 EDT

    Sarah,

    Offence is not really the right word --- even
    though I may have used it.

    I do not particularly disagree with what you say
    here. But, if one were upset with Mafia, would
    she be justified in verbally slamming all
    Italians? That is, however, exactly what this list
    does. At no point does anyone use a term like
    "professional" YECs as you do herein. The issue is
    not with your garden variety YEC in the first
    place. It is with people like Gish and Morris who
    falsify data and scientific principles. George has
    said something like : "well this is site for
    scientists, not just everybody". However there is
    no restriction on joining or reading what is said.
    You can be certain that "non-professional YECs"
    read them also. Do think that it sounds to them
    like _they_ are included in the criticisms? You
    bet it does!

    My belief is that this list should stop the
    practice of belittling all people who accept young
    earth and attack on a scientific plane those with
    whom they are really upset. Take the scientific
    advocates who push for that approach and attack
    them personally. All else is just winds up looking
    like bigotry in my estimation. If you want to
    attack ICR, then do it! Don't generalize. If you
    know a Italian pastor who is out of line, say his
    name rather than group him with all Italians. Send
    _him_ email, not this list.

    Now Morris' books touching on entropy are pure
    hogwash for example. That is not a question of
    interpretation of data. His statements can shown
    to be false in simple laboratory experiments. Are
    there posts on ASA telling the world what a
    charlatan he is? If so, great!. If not, then there
    should be -- or would that not be PC? Is the
    general term, YEC used because people do not want
    to criticize anyone in the "large tent"?

    Insofar as your objection to my description of
    Dawkins as the prophet of evolution: sorry but
    that is what the general (both Christian and non
    Christian) public accepts. (It used to be Sagan.)
    If you think that is a mischaracterization, you
    talk to a very small crowd. I understand that YEC
    is growing in England. We can probably thank
    Dawkins for that.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>