RE: fragility and capuchin's --- the problems of Hume

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 20:07:32 EDT

    Among Hume's many failings -- and one that empiricism
    since has unfortunately shared -- is the shallowness
    of the conception of experience.

    This also goes back to a point Steve P. was asking
    about re how can religion be consonant with a
    scientific worldview, part of the problem with the
    "scientific" worldview, is that it has an *extremely*
    shallow definition of experience which basically takes
    *most* of what religion speaks about out of any
    "scientific" worldview, along with eliminating art,
    etc.

    Hilary Putnam presented an excellent discussion of
    this problem as part of a Templeton Lecture series at
    UC Santa Barabara arguing for a deeper meaning of
    experience along the lines of what Kant discusses.

    It is well worth the read -- as is Putnam's Renewing
    Philosophy which has some relevant chapters on
    Wittgenstein and religion -- to begin to figure out
    many of the problems with the "scientific" worldview
    that passes for a "worldview" these days.