Re: Fragility and tendentiousness

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 16:23:32 EDT

    Walter wrote:
    > I am not
    > trying to advocate a "god of the gaps", but rather that it is not at all
    clear
    > that science will, ever be capable fo defining the universe in terms we
    can
    > comprehend. We have been lucky so far, but it is difficult to extrapolate
    that
    > to completeness.

    I agree that scientific explanations are always tentative. However, I think
    religious folk can and possibly should respect what science says. The way I
    like to think of it is that science offers a workspace within which
    believers who take science seriously can try to formula a well reasoned
    faith. This does not mean, however, that science has complete sway over our
    innate religious intuition about the cosmos. Science can, however, inform
    that intuition and its extrapolations.

    I also agree and think so myself that science will never be complete. At
    best it will be a useful set of metaphors about reality that when applied
    seem to "work".

    However, what I think a scientific worldview tells us is that the universe
    operates at least to a large degree with regularity. This provides for me a
    theological workspace that says that God works primarily if not exclusively
    within the small events. I cannot exclude the possibility of dramatic telic
    events, either through supernaturalism or some natural dynamic like changes
    in chaotic systems, but to posit a God who is heavy handed with reality does
    not seem compelling to me.

    My current view is that God created the universe with just the right mix of
    stability(regularities) and novelty(irregularities, some of these small
    events). It is a perfect mix for creating the love, beauty and meaning we
    see. However, my view which is probably different from Howard's is that
    this front loading of design is not with the intent of creating a universe
    that runs on its own, but one where God can be and is actively engaged in
    what emerges and the lives of its inhabitants.

    Steve Petermann