Re: ICR/AIG claims

From: Gary Collins (gwcollins@algol.co.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 20:02:42 EDT

    Rich Faussette wrote:

    >In a message dated 9/11/03 5:00:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    >dfwinterstein@msn.com writes:
    >

    >> In the fact of invincible ignorance, how far can you get?
    >>

    >> I gather from what you say that it's basically impossible to communicate
    >> with these YECs on scientific topics, because to defend their beliefs they'll
    >> invoke any mechanism no matter how implausible or no matter how much evidence
    >> there may be against it. It's sad, but you're probably right.
    >>

    >Is this just a YEC trait? I'd venture it's more common than people realize.
    >
    >rich faussette

    I think it was Peter Medawar who said something like:
    "The human mind treats a new idea the way the body treats a strange protein - it rejects it."
    To some extent it has to, of course, in order to construct a stable, consistent interpretation.
    But there can, and do, come times when sufficient accumulation of contrary evidence
    causes a 'flip' in one's perspective - a change in one's worldview, if you like. Sometimes
    such a change can be a quite major overhaul of one's former beliefs.

    /Gary