Re: The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Traditional Christian Hermeneutics

From: richard@biblewheel.com
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 12:21:38 EDT

    Hi Don,

    We seem entangled in the ancient war between Pragmatic Experimentalists and
    Abstract Theorists. My primary protagonist, Albert Einstein, seemed to be
    quite aware of this tension, but oddly, (he was an odd fellow), he also
    seemed to take both positions simultaneously. Here is a quote from him that
    agrees with your perception:

    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
    and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. "
    Quoted in J R Newman, The World of Mathematics (New York 1956).

    This sounds very much like what you said, and if this were all Einstein had
    to say on the topic, I would have to concede your point. But the fact is
    that he is the primary protagonist for the "truth (mathematical, physical,
    etc.) is beautiful" school of thought. A. Zee paraphrased Einstien's
    approach with the words:

    "Let us worry about beauty first, and truth will take care of itself."

    The bottom line is that the points are not actually mutually exclusive. We
    are both correct. In the abstract, beauty rules; the devil is in the
    details. Everything we have discovered about the *fundamental* equations
    govering the universe can be described as astoundingly beautiful. But the
    implementation of this knowledge quickly becomes a quite mess, as you well
    know.

    Richard
    Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
    http://www.BibleWheel.com