Re: lame creation concepts

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 17:10:48 EDT

    David wrote:
    This involves additional philosophical assumptions besides the assumption of
    the usefulness of the scientific method. The scientific method may be
    adopted either ad hoc as a method that seems to work frequently or based on
    philosophical considerations that it is likely to work much of the time.
    Neither of these imply that it therefore must apply to everything. For
    example, a belief that God, in His ordinary providence, makes use of means,
    but is free to work without, above, or against them, implies that things
    will usually but not absolutely always behave according to regular patterns.
    <<<<<<<<<<

    I think you make an important distinction here. Seems that it is often
    assumed by many that if one embraces the scientific method as a powerful
    means of understanding the cosmos, that entails subscription to
    methodological naturalism. Unfortunately this turns many of those people off
    or makes them adversarial towards science in general. However,
    methodological naturalism is obviously not mandatory considering the many
    working scientists who embrace both the scientific method *and* a religious
    framework.

    For example, a belief that God, in His ordinary providence, makes use of
    means, but is free to work without, above, or against them, implies that
    things will usually but not absolutely always behave according to regular
    patterns.
    <<<<<<<<<<<

    This is where things get a bit dicey. While not logically precluded, when
    religion makes claims about God's activity that fall outside a common
    scientific worldview it runs the risk of either appearing frivolous in its
    disregard of science or arbitrary in its acceptance or rejection of
    scientific claims. Granted this is a matter for faith but the world
    climate is changing. I suggest the reason there are science and religion
    discussions is that worldviews that contain supernatural elements are
    becoming less and less compelling for many people. Not only are religious
    claims under critical scrutiny, even the idea of absolute truth is under
    attack by postmodernism. Then adding to that the pluralistic religious
    climate world wide, it is becoming more and more difficult for an particular
    religion to claim authority by appealing to revelation or scripture.

    I believe that religion, when it feels compelled, must make certain claims
    that may challenge the common scientific presumptions, but I also think it
    is not necessary to make those core religious claims by appealing to
    supernaturalism. There is potentially way to much open space for
    naturalistic divine action to have to appeal to supernatural means.
    Otherwise the science and religion dialogue is a conflict instead of a
    partnership.

    Finally, it may be worth noting that both apparently indeterminate and
    apparently determinate systems are claimed by atheists to exclude God,
    raising questions about the general merit of the arguments.

    Granted but even serious science/religion believers are groping for ways to
    support their intuitions. My view is that there will be no forthcoming
    uncontroversial answers to these deepest questions of life. However, I do
    think that it is possible to have a well reasoned faith, one that evaluates
    the probabilities of truth claims to the best of one's ability within the
    scope of knowledge we have today. Beyond that I don't know what more a
    person can do.

    Regards,
    Steve Petermann