RE: The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Traditional Christian Hermeneutics

From: richard@biblewheel.com
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:42:44 EDT

    Moorad wrote:

    >Richard, the exact equations are human
    >constructs----both in the mathematics
    >used and the physical model developed.
    >---never mind the approximations to them.
    >The creative power of man is God granted
    >and there is an infusion of truth in what man
    >creates. God sustains the creation and the
    >shadow of that are our laws of nature.

    This is a debatable point. While it is true that humans "constructed" the
    mathematics and the physical model in the natural sense that such are the
    products of human efforts, it could simultaneously be true that these
    "constructions" are actually *discoveries* of the patterns God used in the
    design of the Universe.

    But I am not dogmatic on this point. Your idea that the equations are
    "shadows" of patterns from an ultimate reality that is not described by our
    mathematics seems like it could be true. But this also seems to be a mute
    point since either situation would yield the same results, namely that our
    "constructions" are actually discoveries of the "way things really are" on
    some level, whether ultimate or shadow.

    Also, I am and will remain eternally enamoured with the Christian revelation
    of the Logos "through whom all things came to be." This informs my reasoning
    here. It is He, the Logos, "in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and
    knowledge," that created the Universe. I have every reason to see the
    comprehensibility and discoverability of Natural Laws as a natural
    consequence of the desires, character, and purposes of their Author. This is
    one of the great powers and glories of the Christian revelation - it opens
    the doors of Heaven and makes the comprehensibility of the universe
    comprehensible.

    In the everlasting Joy of knowing Christ my Saviour,
    Richard

    Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
    http://www.BibleWheel.com