Re: lame creation concepts

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 10:27:19 EDT

    George wrote:
    > But traditional theologies have their own problems. I find it strange &
    > somewhat disheartening that on this list people think that they can
    discuss "God" &
    > "creation" in some detail without ever referring to the one who by & for
    whom, according
    > to the NT (Jn.1:3, I Cor.8:6, Col.1:16-17, Heb.1:2), all things have been
    created. To
    > put it bluntly, most of the discussions of creation here - from the
    standpoints of both
    > process thought & more traditional theism - are of very little value
    because of this
    > defect.

    I actually think that its is in the very incarnation schemes that things
    like process theology can be salvaged. In all incarnation schemes(Jesus,
    Krishna, Dionysius) there is an element of kenosis(self emptying) of God to
    be present in this reality. To me this is how talk of a limited God should
    be couched. For me the most meaning metaphor that expresses this is the
    idea of a Living God or a divine life. In the divine life the limitations
    of space-time are accepted while at the same time there is an eternal
    connection/interaction with the transcendent aspect of God. I believe that
    process theology is trying to solve the "problem of evil" by limiting God
    but that only makes God a cowering wimp. That doesn't solve the problem.
    The solution is to accept that life itself entails the potential for evil.
    No potential for evil, no life. That puts the responsibility of evil on God
    but rationalizes it by God's participation in life and that life itself
    entails that potential.

    Regards,
    Steve Petermann