Re: mathematical concepts=="irrational numbers," processtheology, Plato

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 09:30:38 EDT

    Ted,

    > Or something like that. His picture of the Demiurgos is, IMO, a precursor
    > of the modern process God, who can't exert absolute power of nature
    > either--that is, IMO the process God can't determine the nature of nature.
    > Rather the nature of nature is a given, the God must simply do his best
    with
    > what he's got. This is why I think of process theology as Platonistic,
    > though one can also see it as deeply Aristotelian also (an eternal
    universe
    > eternally in the process of becoming).

    I think you're exactly right on the parallels. What has always bothered me
    about process theology is its use of the term "God". Unlike Plato, process
    thought doesn't seem to understand that the term "God" springs from the
    notion of ultimacy. Plato certainly recognized it by having God be
    transcendent even if his idea of perfection might cause problems. When
    process theology leaves out a transcendent ultimate it, in effect, makes
    their god a Demiurgos. Since in their view God is constrained by something,
    then logically whatever constrains God is really God.

    Regards,
    Steve Petermann