Re: The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Traditional Christian Hermeneutics

From: richard@biblewheel.com
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 17:27:02 EDT

    Moorad wrote:

    >One ought not to confuse our mathematical
    >description of nature with nature itself.
    >Remember a map of a city is a useful construct
    >but it should never be confused with the real city.

    Agreed. But it has not been demonstrated that the mathematical description
    of Reality is "our construct." On the contrary, it is eminently reasonable
    to view it as our *discovery* of God's design. Remember, the revelation of
    Almighty God declares that "In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos
    was with God, and God was the Logos." What then could be more logical (i.e.
    pertaining to the Logos) than the view that the Divine Logos designed
    Reality according to the absolutely astoundingly overwhelmingly beautiful
    mathematics that we behold all around us? Simply stated, it seems to me that
    this Christian worldview answers more philosophical questions than any other
    I have ever seen. (Of course, that's not *why* I believe, its something I
    discovered *after* coming to Faith and communing with the Lord Jesus Christ,
    my Helper and Wonderful Counsellor.)

    It's also important to remember that this is not a new idea. Its been around
    since the beginning ;-). It also clearly manifests in the structure of the
    Holy Bible, as discussed in my brief review of A. Zee's _Fearful Symmetry_:

    http://www.BibleWheel.com/RR/AZ_Fearful.asp

    It is also important to note that it is not intrinsically unreasonable to
    believe in a physical continuum where irrational and transcendental numbers
    may actually manifest in Reality. This may or may not happen, depending on
    the nature of Reality. But it can not be ruled out a priori which seems to
    be what you asserted, if I did not misread your previous post.

    In service of the EverLiving AlwaysLoving Logos,
    Richard

    Discover the sevenfold symmetric perfection of the Holy Bible at
    http://www.BibleWheel.com