RE: Van Till's Ultimate Gap

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 06:40:53 EDT

    Hi Josh,

    I would like to point out that the question you raise is exactly what
    Inflation Theory advocated first by Alan Guth is doing. It is explaining how
    the universe came to be out of preexisting Higgs fields on the vacuum. Iain
    Strachan hit the question on the head. Why does the universe even exist.
    That is the ultimate gap for everyone.

    The choice we have is to believe a divine being of eternal existence created
    the universe, or some aspect of the universe itself is eternal--in
    inflation's view the eternally existing item is the vacuum (don't cofuse
    this with things which clean houses or the lack of air). Inflation theory
    leads to the concept of the multiverse--universes are constantly being
    created in infinitude. That solves the anthropic issue for those who prefer
    a non-theist answer.

    The point is that we are forced to attribute eternal existence to
    something--God or the universe are the leading candidates.