Re: My daughter is a YEC

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 14:11:10 EDT

    There is a "small" problem because John and others of his ilk do not
    think their position through. If the Bible is totally true without any
    admixture of the writers' worldview, then the Creator made the universe
    so that honest men would see it differently. 6000 cannot be 13x10^9. This
    means that God deliberately mislead or, to phrase it more bluntly,
    produced a lie to deceive the majority of human beings. If he lied in
    this area, one what basis can I hold that he did not lie in scripture?
    What basis have I to believe that Jesus is the Son of God? The
    fundamental problem is that a liar cannot be trusted even when he speaks
    the truth.

    If, on the other hand, God used the understanding of those to whom and
    through whom he spoke to present an image of his production and
    protection of all things, refining the message as greater understanding
    was gained, then we have a true message that is consonant with the
    message of science. The choice, for scientist and laity alike, is a lying
    God and young earth or a truth-telling God and an old earth.

    By the way, if the Bible is the whole truth, 6000 cannot be stretched to
    10-20,000.
    Dave