Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 15:00:19 EDT

    John W Burgeson wrote:

    > George wrote: "Treating another Christian as a weaker brother or sister
    > and avoiding offence is
    > the right response - until that Christian insists that his or her
    > scruples are normative
    > and that the "weak" way is the only way to be a Christian. If another
    > Christian
    > believes that drinking alcohol is wrong and I have reason to think that
    > drinking in
    > their presence might lead them to sin, then I shouldn't drink when that
    > person is
    > around. But if that person insists that a real Christian _can't_ drink
    > then the
    > appropriate response is to pop open a can. Cf. Gal.5:2.>>
    >
    > Right on, George.

    And I second that!

    > >>However, those who actively promote anti-evolution under the banner of
    > Christian
    > truth, or who insist that a Christian can't accept evolution, are doing a
    > great deal of
    > damage to the church. They make the Christian faith look stupid to
    > knowledgeable
    > outsiders and they set young people up for a loss of faith when they do
    > find out that
    > there's a lot of evidence for evolution. Jesus words in Mt.18:6 are
    > germane here. Such
    > teachers have to be opposed actively - & of course honestly - & if
    > they're "offended,"
    > tough. >>
    >
    > That comment was academic here in Durango until yesterday. The Durango
    > Christian Church, just a block south of my church, First Presbyterian, is
    > advertising a three day symposium, "Origins, Creation and You," September
    > 19, 20 and 21st. Speakers will be Joe Sebeny and Roger Heyden;

    I know Joe Sebeny personally and he is one of whom I speak when i say that
    some YECs do consider the alternate view to be non-christian. I have
    discussed these things with Joe and his statement is simply that he feels
    that my logic is not consistent. At the same time he welcomes me as a
    brother in Christ. If his attitude has changed I would be surprised. And if
    we treated YECs with the same attitude that Joe treated me, there would be
    little cause acrimony.

    I hope that you will tell us about the talk and how you come to view Sebeny.

    > the
    > advertising brochure features the ICR, AIG and CRS websites. Sebeny has
    > degrees (level not stated) in physics and astronautical engineering from
    > MIT and electrical engineering from the U of New Hampshire.

    I believe that they are all Bachelors of science. Joe and I worked at the
    same company. he wanted to be a multi-disciplined engineer. He was, and still
    is, considered to be one the leading technical people in his organization. I
    found him to be quite interesting in that he was so scientific and yet still
    took the Bible literally. One thing that bothered him more than anything else
    was the distance to the galaxies. At the same time he made much of the holes
    in science explanations which give rise to 'dark matter" and now "dark
    energy" i am sure.

    At least Joe does not appear to me to be a charlatan like some. I wish I
    could go to the talk. Where is Durango?

    > Heyden has an
    > MS in electrical engineering from Arizona State U. The brochure material
    > looks as if much of it is lifted from ICR directly.
    >
    > I live a block from the church. Right now I'm debating with myself how
    > (if) to respond. In a small town like Durango, this is going to have an
    > impact.
    >
    > Burgy

    Walt

    --