Re: methodological naturalism - origin of the term?

From: Steve Bishop (stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 05:10:11 EDT

    >From: "Steve Bishop" <stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com>

    >Does anyone know whent he term "methodological naturalism" was first used?

    My thanks to Sarah and Howard on the help in locating the origin of the term
    "methodological naturalism".

    So far the earliest mention I have found is by Alvin Plantinga in Christian
    Scholar's Review XXI:1 (September 1991): 8-33

    "We are sometimes told that natural science is natural science. So far it is
    hard to object: but how shall we take the term 'natural' here? It could mean
    that natural science is science devoted to the study of nature. Fair enough.
    But it is also taken to mean that natural science involves a methodological
    naturalism or provisional atheism..."

    It is on-line at the ASA site (together wioth the responses from Van Till,
    McMullin and Pun)

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/dialogues/Faith-reason/index.html

    Does anyone know of an earlier occurence than 1991?

    Cheers,

    Steve

    http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger