Re: Student perceptions re evolution

From: Sarah Berel-Harrop (sec@hal-pc.org)
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 18:05:44 EDT

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:26:29 -0500
      "Stephen J. Krogh, P.G." <panterragroup@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >The Theory of
    >Evolution explains the facts (observations) of evolution
    >in a population as
    >it changes from one generation to the next. The
    >"competing" aspect of
    >various Theories you think you are seeing are not
    >necessarily competing but
    >rather complimentary. Where one mechanism doesn't fully
    >explain what is
    >observed in some instances, other mechanisms can be
    >proposed, but it is
    >still observation-driven. Then the Theory can then be
    >used to make
    >predictions of what should be expected in future
    >observations, that is a way
    >it can be tested.

    Chris Colby's FAQ is helpful in that it lists
    and explains the various mechanisms, here:

    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-intro-to-biology.html

    I don't think Chris says, but NS can increase variation
    as well as decrease it, this is in Lewontin, 1974.
    I have the explanation for this, but I've checked the
    book out from the library, and it is due Friday, so if
    you want me to type it in let me know soon.

    Larry Moran has written an FAQ specifically about
    what biologists mean when they say evolution is a
    "fact".

    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html