Re: methodological naturalism - origin of the term?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 09:39:22 EDT

    >From: "Steve Bishop" <stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com>

    > Does anyone know whent he term "methodological naturalism" was first used?

    Steve,

    No. I don't know when this term got into the vocabulary. Al Plantinga has
    employed it for quite a while. Perhaps he could shed some light on its
    introduction. I'm quite sure it precedes Ruse's presentation at the 1993
    AAAS symposium (at which I also gave a presentation).

    Your asking the question about 'when' also raises the question about
    definitions of the variant strains of "naturalism" that need to be
    recognized and distinguished from one another. Here's something that works
    for me.

    First, a definition:

    Methodological naturalism. When formulating theories about objects, systems
    and phenomena within the physical universe, the natural sciences shall
    include only natural causes arising from the actions of, or interactions
    among, members of the physical universe. Actions of non-natural agents that
    are not members of the physical universe are not categorically denied either
    existence or effect, but such actions are excluded from scientific
    theorizing because of science's inability to investigate them empirically.

    Comments:

    (a) This is a statement about the limited competence of the sciences, not a
    statement about the ultimate nature of reality. It does not exclude the
    existence of God; it does not even exclude supernatural (coercive, God
    overpowering nature) action categorically.

    (b) Methodological naturalism does, however, exclude the empirical
    detectability of divine action of any sort and is for that reason rejected
    by advocates of ID.

    Second, an excerpt from my review of No Free Lunch:

    difference.

    Howard Van Till