Re: Creativity, genius and the science/faith interface

From: Iain Strachan (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 07:51:48 EDT

    Alex wrote:
    > Genius is most certainly NOT a disadvantage ... etc

    A further thought occurs as to whether the attribute of "genius" confers
    advantage on the individual. The following poem from Philip Larkin (another
    spectacularly gloomy, unhappy genius who lived his life in a paranoid fear
    of death). It was written upon the birth of a daughter to his friend, the
    novelist Kingsley Amis. Larkin would appear to disagree with Alex's
    assertion. Much better to be dull and ordinary.

    Born Yesterday
    (for Sally Amis)

    Tightly-folded bud,
    I have wished you something
    None of the others would:
    Not the usual stuff
    About being beautiful,
    Or running off a spring
    Of innocence and love -
    They will all wish you that,
    And should it prove possible,
    Well, you're a lucky girl.

    But if it shouldn't then
    May you be ordinary;
    Have, like other women
    An average of talents:
    Not ugly, not good-looking,
    Nothing uncustomary
    To pull you off your balance,
    That, unworkable itself,
    Stops all the rest from working.
    In fact, may you be dull --
    If that is what a skilled
    Vigilant, flexible,
    Unemphasised, enthralled
    Catching of happiness is called.

    (Jan 1954).
     Iain .G.D. Strachan

    There are 10 types of people in the world ...