Re: A "God" Part of the Brain?

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 10:10:53 EDT

    --- Dawsonzhu@aol.com wrote:

    > Blake Nelson within a long outpouring of frustration
    > wrote:

    I wouldn't charaterize it as that, and I hope that is
    not how it came across. I do, as I noted, grow weary
    of hyperbole, but that was less than 30% of the post.
    ;) The rest dealt with the problem of data
    interpretation re religious experience.

    > > BTW, what evidence is there or on what basis would
    > one
    > > say that God has hard-wired only humans to
    > perceive
    > > Him? I wouldn't presume that to be the case, and
    > the
    > > pan-experientialists and process theologians
    > certainly
    > > wouldn't either (although I do not fall into those
    > > categories).
    > >

    > I'm not quite sure what you are asking here? Are
    > you thinking
    > that animals can have faith too. Or intelligent
    > life on other
    > planets (if there is any)?
    (SNIP)

    What I was getting at is that a) we have no experience
    of what it is to be other animals or things so I don't
    know how we can say whether they in some way perceive
    God (which may be entirely different than having
    "faith"). Panpsychism/panexperientialism on which
    much process thought is built starts from the
    assumption that God can lure *everything* to greater
    and lesser extents and that everything (not just
    sentient, much less self-conscious, creatures) in some
    sense has an ability to perceive and respond to the
    lure. I don't have any frame of reference to say
    whether that is correct or not. I would not presume
    that position is incorrect either as the post seemed
    to do.