Re: Darwin quote

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 11:18:24 EDT

    I agree that all of these (and ones offered by Terry) affect evolution, but I don't see most of them as alternatives to natural selection. For the most part they introduce variation and then natural selection filters out the ones that are not useful for survival. Catastrophic changes are an exception and certainly would represent a non-"Darwinian" effect.

    In reading some of the material by Gould, it seems as though many times the transition to a new species is rather abrupt. I often wondered if these may have happened at major climatic changes. A recent issue of Physics Today states that abrupt environmental changes are now accepted as more frequent than previously suspected.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>