Tillich

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 11:42:20 EDT

    In the book PAUL TILLICH, by J. Haywood Thomas (1968), page 4, I note
    that the author attributes three primary (?) ideas (claims) to Paul
    Tillich. These are:

    1. There is an infinite qualitative difference between the temporal and
    the eternal.

    2. There is a necessity of revelation. That is, it is necessary for the
    Eternal to reveal itself to the temporal. This assumes the Eternal WANTS
    to be known in some way, of course.

    3. It is inevitable that there will be paradox when human language tries
    to o express the divine.

    On page 5, the author begins to tease out the problems of theology,
    swinging at all times between two poles, tradition and the present
    situation.

    Idea #2 leads to my own uneasiness with ID. It seems that the ID
    advocates agree with #2 (as I do) but then insist that at least part of
    this revelation ought to be observable in nature (Johnson's "fingerprints
    all over the material world."). But if these "fingerprints" are
    observable only to trained ID scientists, of what use are they to the lay
    Christian? At best -- an argument from authority (Behe says X, therefore
    I believe). That's pretty weak.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!