Re: specified complexity (was: The Aphenomenon of Abiogenesis)

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 10:06:31 EDT

    Howard wrote:

    What about the Fibonacci series? Would a biotic structure displaying this
    numerical series be specified? Since the numerical series can be generated
    in a way that is independent of any particular biotic system, perhaps it
    would be considered to be detachable, and therefore a specification. But if
    there is an explanation for how the development of some biotic system
    produces a structure displaying this numerical sequence, ID advocates might
    argue that the system is not complex. [Remember that complexity -- in ID
    speak -- is related inversely to the probability that something could be
    assembled by the joint effect of all (known and unknown) natural processes
    (sometimes confusingly referred to as "chance."]

    -I think it would be best to understand how these series are generated,
    first. There may be a very simple explanation. For example, if we found
    something following the pattern 1,2,4,8,16,32,64, etc. we don't necessarily
    have a specification that requires a highly complex explanation. The
    division of a cell can follow the above pattern very easily, and I've seen
    Michael Ruse argue that the fibonacchi series is derived from some pattern
    of cell division established during development. We're talking about an
    emergent property of a system, in my opinion, that is not necessarily
    encoded by any specific gene.