Re: specified complexity (was: The Aphenomenon of Abiogenesis)

From: Josh Bembenek (jbembe@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 23:07:55 EDT

    Brian wrote:

    >First, thanks for the article by Dembski.
    >
    >According to this paragraph the sequence of prime numbers
    >is a specification. With this in mind let me ask whether
    >a Fibonacci series would also be a specification?
    >
    >The Fibonacci series is generated by the simple growth rule:
    >any term in the series is the sum of the previous two.
    >One gets the ball rolling by specifying the first two numbers.
    >The most natural way to start seems to be with 0 and 1,
    >which gives the Fibonacci series:
    >
    >0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 ...
    >
    >To further the notion that this is a specification consider
    >that the ratio of successive pairs in the Fibonacci series
    >rapidly approaches the Golden Ratio.
    >
    >So, for IDers let me ask. Is this series a specification?

    Let me first state that I cannot speak for every last nuance of what the
    word specification means to either ID or myself. However it appears to be
    the case as some flowering plants and other biotic creatures display (if
    this is where you are going...)

    By the way, I just watched the bizzarre movie "Pi: Faith in Chaos" and it is
    funny you asked that...

    Josh