Re: The power of ten

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 17:33:34 EST

    I don't claim to have any special expertise in the ancient history of
    mathematics, but I would suggest that we might find clues to the number
    base that a people used by looking at their language. For example, the
    prehistoric Indo-European language has been reconstructed, and it had a
    simple word for 100, suggesting that the people used base 10.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado
    Boulder, CO 80309-0395