Re: appearance of age and the goodness of God

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 15:01:08 EST

    Spoofing just does not seem to be to be in the character and modus of
    God. He seems to be about revelation and clarification, e.g., Jesus'
    example and statement regarding the law. As I suggested earlier, our
    investigations of the fundamentals of creation do not disclose greater
    complexity and bewilderment, but rather underlying simplicity. Though
    greater understanding may come in layers (like peeling an onion), it is
    never our experience that we have been misled by the information that
    guided our earlier understanding. I believe that as well of the
    underlying message of scripture. The only way that we can know anything
    about anything is for there to be some implicit trustworthiness in the
    subject and methodology. That is our (my) experience and the principal
    reason I have difficulty with a notion of divine deception.

    I too have a sticking point at the "why". Divine deception would only
    weaken the case for trusting him. The distinctive message of Job
    remaining faithful in the face of the worst that can happen to living
    man would seem to have a message for us only if it plays against a
    backdrop of a God who is reliable and not capricious, righteous or not.

    Regards - Jim Armstrong