Re: test questions-old topic

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 05:01:31 EST

    Here follows some calculations which have more rigour than ICR or AIG would
    normally have!!

    > "Geologists often assume that the accumulation of thick layers of tiny
    > microscopic organisms such as the White Cliffs of Dover in England
    > required lengthy periods of time. But such accumulation can occur
    > rapidly. Along the coast of Oregon a three-day storm of high winds and
    > rain deposited 10-15 cm of microscopic diatoms for a distance of 32 km.

    OK I will buy that and thus accept a continuous depostion at 5cm/day. the
    thickness of chalk is 1100ft i.e 33537cm . Thus it took 6703 days to
    deposit, i.e.18years and c 3 mths.

    Whoops Flood Geology is dead!

    But then if the deposition in storms only occured once a year, then the
    chalk took 2235 years to accumulate. Add to that the rest of the deposited
    strata and we are into well inexcess of 100,000 years. Flood Geoloogy is
    doubly dead and the Bible cannot be taken literally.

    Oh Dear!

    > [Campbell, AS. 1954. Radiolaria. In: Moore RC, eidtor. Treatise of
    > invertebrate paleontology, Part D(Protista 3). NY: Geol. Soc of Amer.,
    > and Lawrence, Kans.: Univ of Dansas Press, p. D17.] I have seen a
    > well-preserved fossil bird and many fish in thick beds of microscopic
    > diatoms near Lompoc, California. A whale was also found in this deposit.
    > Such preservation would require rapid burial before disarticulation of
    > the organism would occur. Evidently microscopic organisms can be
    > deposited rapidly." (_Origins, Linking Science and Scripture_, Ariel
    > Roth, p 201)
    >
    > Since no one has commented on the paraconformities of Grand Canyon, then
    > I assume it is reasonable that the lack of mechanical and chemical
    > erosion may demonstrate that there was little time elapsed during each
    > paraconformity. If such were the case, the elapsed time from the end of
    > the Precambrian to the Tertiary would collapse from the commonly
    > published ~500 my to ~250 million years by leaving out the gaps. The
    > geologic time scale is thus invalidated by paraconformities.

    This has been answered many times before and if you cannot accept it then
    you must be invincibly ignorant. A gap in strata can mean one of two
    things, either strata were deposited and eroded or else they were not
    deposited in the first place. I get bored!

    Michael