Re: ID science (subtopic 1)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 11:39:11 EST

    I had written: "I see his (Griffin's) "minimal naturalism" as an exact
    metaphysical equivalent of my own pragmatic "methodological naturalism." In
    that sense, I see the two claims as functionally equivalent."

    Howard commented: "I take "methodological naturalism" to be the choice not
    to use supernatural action (coercive divine action) as an element in any
    scientific explanation. It does not explicitly deny the possibility of such
    action, but it excludes it from the arena science. In essence, it limits the
    methodology of science to include natural phenomena only.

    As I understand Griffin's definition of "minimal naturalism" it constitutes
    more than a choice to limit scientific explanations to natural causes only;
    it specifically denies even the possibility of supernatural action -- at any
    time, at any place. It is a fairly strong metaphysical statement that, as I
    see it, goes beyond methodological naturalism."

    Yes, we are in full agreement on this much. I used the words "functional
    equivalent" in my post very deliberately. To the person doing science, it
    does not make any difference which forms the basis of his work. To the
    person as a theist it makes a lot of difference; in this sense I suppose I
    would agree it "goes beyond methodological naturalism." But I'm trying very
    hard to keep the discussions, from my end at least, away from the
    theoloical/religious and focused on the scientific.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com