Re: ID science (subtopic 1)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 12:19:38 EST

    Thnaks, Howard, for responding as you did to my four precepts. Here I will
    address #1.

    I wrote : 1. If there is observational data, a theory based on
    methodological naturalism must be constructed.

    You: "Your choice of the word "must" puzzles me. It cannot mean that there
    is some moral rule obligating a scientist, in the presence of observational
    data, to construct a theory based on natural phenomena only."

    No moral rule implied. The word "must" simply means that there is a natural
    tendency for a scientist, when faced with new and unexplained data, to
    formulate an explanation. For many people, that tendency does not exist;
    they see strange data and are content to not seek an explanation -- for many
    reasons.

    "I presume it means instead that if any scientific theory is going to be
    formulated to account for some collection of observational data, then that
    scientific theory will, because of the character of contemporary natural
    science, deal with natural causes only. This approach, often labeled
    methodological naturalism (MN), maintains a stance of agnosticism regarding
    the reality of non-natural causes. For example, MN does not explicitly
    reject or accept divine action -- whether of the supernatural (coercive) or
    the non-coercive variety -- it simply excludes divine action (and any other
    form of non-natural action) from scientific theorizing."

    All that is very true, and I concur. It goes beyond what I was including in
    my precept #1, but that's OK.

    "David Ray Griffin, with whose work you are very familiar, makes a somewhat
    stronger metaphysical statement when he proposes that science ought to be
    done on the assumption that minimal naturalism applies (where minimal
    naturalism explicitly rejects supernatural action but maintains a stance of
    agnosticism relative to the possibility of non-coercive divine action)."

    Having read Griffin's book several times, and also corresponded with him
    several times, I see his "minimal naturalism" as an exact metaphysical
    equivalent of my own pragmatic "methodological naturalism." In that sense, I
    see the two claims as functionally equivalent.

    "Because it chooses to deal explicitly with non-natural causes as actual
    possibilities, ID science (the topic of this thread) rejects both
    methodological naturalism and minimal naturalism, right?"

    Yes and no.

    (1) It does not HAVE to use non-natural causation as an explanatory device,
    and some of the ID writings allude to this from time to time.

    (2) It is evident that sometimes it does exactly what you say.

    (3) Del Ratzsch and Al Plantigna offer arguments why MN ought to be -- in
    some cases -- discarded. Plantigna's arguments (2 or 3 years ago in ARN in
    an issue where my own ID evaluation appeared) were not persuasive (to me).
    Del's arguments in his most recent book might be -- so far I have only
    skimmed it and returned it to the library.

    In any event, there is no monarch of science dictating that "MN must be used
    or the stake." Science is what scientists do. when a scientist "experiments"
    with the supernatural in his or her work, that does not make him or her a
    non-scientist -- it may well make him or her a bad scientist, of course. But
    if fruitful results should bloom from the work of such, I suggest we would
    all be interested in them.

    A Gedanken experiment might be helpful here. Suppose an ID scientist, let's
    call him Dr. X, working from ID concepts and such, predicts some sort of
    "force field" which is (a) inexpensive to set up, (b) does no damage to
    anything, and (c) inhibits atomic reactions. For $10,000 (say), any large
    city in the world can be protected forever from an atomic explosion.

    Would you vote Dr. X. the Nobel peace prize? Or not? On what basis?

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com