Re: Johnson on Bible Answer Man

From: Denyse O'Leary (oleary@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 16:03:11 EST

    Alexanian, Moorad wrote:

    > Note first that a materialist is by nature a believer of evolutionary
    > theory. Of course, the converse does not follow.

    Hmmmm. Not necessarily. A materialist might dismiss evolutionary theory
    on evidentiary grounds. (Not proven beyond a reasonable doubt.) Lawyer
    Phillip Johnson would not have to be a Christian to amass evidence
    against evolution; a sharp criminal lawyer might enjoy the challenge of
    coming up with a good case, even if an atheist.

    Would mathematician David Berlinski, author of "The Deniable Darwin"
    provide an example of this? I've never heard anything about his
    religious convictions, if any, but he insists the case is unproven.
    Also, when science writer Gordon Rattray Taylor was dying, he wrote a
    very interesting book, The Great Evolution Mystery (London: Secker &
    Warburg, 1982) in which he outlined his objections to Darwinism. As far
    as I can tell, he was not a religious believer in any sense. He had seen
    and heard a lot of things that made him reluctant to just go along with
    the orthodoxy. He felt, as some others do, that there is something
    missing in the modern synthesis.

    > I am sure the materialists have used all sorts of denigrating
    > terms for those of us who believe in a Creator. Moorad Alexanian

    Um, yes. Check in with infidels.org if you want to hear what they say.

    Cheers,

    Denyse O'Leary
    www.designorchance.com

    --
    To see what's new in faith and science issues, go to www.designorchance.com
    My next book, By Design or By Chance?: The Growing Controversy Over the

    To order, call Castle Quay, 1-800-265-6397, fax 519-748-9835, or visit www.afcanada.com (CDN $19.95 or US$14.95).

    Denyse O'Leary 14 Latimer Avenue Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5N 2L8 Tel: 416 485-2392/Fax: 416 485-9665 oleary@sympatico.ca www.denyseoleary.com