Re: Reviews of Darwin's Cathedral

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 09:03:44 EST

    Karl, quoting from Orr's review of Wilson's book "Darwin's Cathedral":

    > "In the end, you are, I suppose, free to believe that religion is a mere
    > byproduct of multilevel selection. But intellectual honesty demands that you
    > ask why science isn't too."

    I don't know the full context of this quotation, so my concerns might well
    be inappropriate, but....

    To say that belief in X is functional in the dynamic of group selection does
    not, of course, by itself, lead inevitably to the conclusion, "therefore the
    concept X can be dismissed as nothing more than an adaptively successful
    (via multilevel selection) figment of the human imagination." To illustrate
    this, let X be the concept of cause/effect.

    Howard Van Till