Re: Genealogies (was Re: personal revelations)

From: John Burgeson (burgythree@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 22:10:58 EST

    George wrote, in part: "Inerrancy isn't the issue - there are, inter alia,
    errors of fact in the biblical text. But I think Christians should give it
    the benefit of the doubt & before concluding that some passage is in error,
    try to understand what theological point the
    writer may have been making."

    I agree 100%.

    "In the case of the genealogy, it's hard to see why the writer would have
    made an elementary arithmetic error."

    Evaluating the text as in error does not demand that I attribute that error
    to Matthew. But I don't see that "it is hard to see" him making that error.
    Although it seems more likely that a copyist did it some years after the
    original was written.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com