Re: Numbers

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 18:13:07 EST

    Re:

    No one has as yet answered my point that the only scientific explanation that has been postulated for the formation of order out of chaos is an evolutionary process, and that in order for this to work, each change must yield selective advantage. But spelling changes don't change the meaning, and whether or not it adds up to a multiple of a significant number clearly also doesn't add any selective advantage in the process of evolution of a language.<

    I don't know if this is responsive to your point, but evolution is not
    necessary for order to occur out of chaos. I noticed a big candy vending
    machine in one of our malls. In it were several transparent bins
    containing different candies. Some were round, roundish (Boston baked
    beans), ovoid, banana-shaped, etc. In each case, there were definite
    orderings visible in the distributions of candies and their
    orientations. There were seams of roughly parallel disks among the ovoid
    candies, flowing circular patterns in others.

    In the microscopic world there are many factors beside shape that can
    strongly influence the ordering of "things" that occur in chaotic
    community but are brought into proximity with one another for whatever
    reason (gravity, drying of tide pools, etc.).

    Regards - Jim Armstrong