Re: Numbers

From: Iain Strachan \(asa\) (iain.strachan.asa@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 16:00:11 EST

    Peter,

    Thanks for these insights and information.

    In general it is considered that there are less variants in the OT Hebrew
    text than in the NT. In three of the four main Hebrew letter versions,
    there are no more than a handful (less than 10) letter variants in the text
    of the Torah (These are the Ashkenazi, Sephardi, and Yemenite versions).
    The Samaritan version has around 6,000 variants with the others. This
    information comes from http://www.innerx.net/personal/tsmith/Torah.html, the
    web-site of Tony Smith, an unorthodox, but highly respected mathematical
    physicist.

    By contrast there are many spelling variations in the NT texts (though none
    that we know of in the John 1:1 text). For example there are three variant
    spellings of "David" in Matthew Chapter 1 among the variants (Dauid, Dabid,
    Daueid). Another point of variation is the notorious 666, which in early
    versions is represented as the Greek numerals for 600,60 and 6. However,
    the letter with the numeric value of 6 (the Greek digamma) became obsolete,
    and later versions of the text give the number in words "hexakosioi
    hexaconta hex". Other versions have the number as 616.

    Hence Don's claim that the NT is known with better certainty than the OT
    appears to be incorrect. I don't doubt that the variations are just trivial
    ones in spelling, that don't alter the meaning; but the exact letter
    sequence needs to be correct for the gematria calculations to work. Hence
    we tend only to work on texts where we can be reasonably certain that there
    are no variations. The OT text may be better preserved because the scribes
    regarded what they were doing as a sacred duty, and were intent on
    preserving the exact copies. If variations were known, then they would be
    carefully noted.

    Iain.