RE: Some Comments on Radiometric dating

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 15:58:28 EST

    Allen wrote:
    >Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 12:12 AM

    >**[allen]Yes, Precisely; that is the heart of my thesis. Point 2 is
    >"The dating process of rock units is subjective even when radiometric
    >dates are available."

    No, Allen, it is not subjective, when seeing undisturbed strata, to know
    that the lower layer is the older. This is because you can't deposit
    sediment underneath the ocean bottom or land surface. You are using
    'subjective' in a funny way.

     Meaning subject to the laws of stratigraphy.
    > And, being "subject to" means that isotopic dates are rejected or
    >accepted depending upon other factors than the accuracy of the isotopic
    >dating methods. (Point 1)

    So? Big deal. If you see something wrong are you going to continue to
    believe the wrong thing so that you won't have to reject something? How
    stupid do you want the chronologist to be?

    Also, why do you expect radiometric dating to have god-like perfection or
    else it must be totally rejected as useless? That is like saying if your
    car doesn't start 100% of the time, it isn't of value to you. Everything in
    this world is fallible, yet the YECs always seem to expect science and
    scientific methods to live up to absolute perfection in order for them to
    then claim, "nanny-nanny-boo-boo it doesn't work at all'. Which of course is
    absolutely laughable. Or would be if people didn't believe this ridiculous
    claim.

      And the fact that isotopic dates for the
    >Uinkaret are rejected because they do not stratigraphically fit shows
    >Point 3, "If any rock unit is believed to be young, then any old
    >radiometric age is rejected, not as inaccurate, but as irrelevant to the
    >age of the rock."

    You are not answering the objection to Austin's 'dates' (and I put that in
    quotes on purpose) because Austin used isochron values from different rocks
    which violates the method. Here is something I wrote back in 1995. It shows