Re: I didn't think Adam had the capacity for error until Eve was created...

From: sheila-mcginty@geotec.net
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 08:48:17 EST

    Rich and Everyone,

    Please accept my humble apologies. Please forgive me. My intention was not
    to be derisive in any way - simply funny. I will be more careful in the
    future.

    I believe that Adam was created perfect (by God) with the capacity for error.
    I believe that Eve was also created perfect by God with the same capacity for
    error because Adam and Eve were one flesh - bone of Adam's bone, flesh of his
    flesh. The physical and spiritual implications of this simple statement is a
    mystery that is generally beyond my understanding. The mystery will probably
    be explained at the marriage supper of the Lamb and I can hardly wait to hear
    it! God is an amazing, awesome God with mysteries that are so wonderful I am
    often left speechless.

    Sheila

    Quoting RFaussette@aol.com:

    > I made this statement:
    >
    > You are saying that Adam demonstrated the capacity for error before the
    > Fall?
    > I didn't think he had it until Eve was created.
    >
    > And got these derisive responses:
    >
    > +++++++++
    > If Adam didn't have the capacity for error until after Eve was created
    > from
    > his rid,[sic] this means that God took the one perfect part of him to
    > create
    > woman!
    >
    > Everything makes sense to me now!
    >
    > Sheila
    > ++++++++
    >
    > So He accidentally marred Adam in the process of creating Eve? Oh yes,
    > there is that missing rib! I never made the link between a missing rib
    > and capacity for error!
    >
    > I admire your dry sense of humor! JimA

    > Where did I ever get such a sense of humor?
    >
    > Perhaps from Gershom Scholem, author of the Messianic Idea in Judaism.
    > In the
    > preface, Scholem is called the "master builder of historical studies of
    > the
    > Kabbalah." What does that have to do with Genesis and the fall? For that
    > we
    > look to Adolphe Franke:
    > From Adolph Franke's The Kabbalah, the religious philosophy of the
    > Hebrews.
    > "In the Mishna (Haggiga Sec.2) we find this remarkable passage: "The
    > story of
    > Genesis (the Creation) is not to be explained to two men, the story of
    > the
    > Merkaba (Heavenly Chariot) not even to one, unless he be wise and can
    > deduce
    > wisdom of his own accord."
    >
    > Then:
    > "If we are to believe Maimonides, - who, although a stranger to the
    > Kabbalah, could not deny its existence - the first half, entitled the
    > "Story
    > of Genesis," taught the science of nature, and the second half, called
    > the
    > "Story of the Chariot," contained a treatise on theology. This opinion
    > was
    > accepted by all the Kabbalists.
    >
    > So, the concensus among scholars of Jewish mysticism and the Kabbalah is
    > that
    > Genesis is allegorical since they're not allowed to reveal its real
    > meaning.
    > That is how they study it. So, what do they say?
    >
    > "The soul of all mankind was originally contained within Adam. Now its
    > sparks
    > were scattered throughout the terrestrial universe, and the continued
    > existence of sin has ever more increased their dispersion. They are in
    > exile
    > and must be led home and restored to their primordial spiritual
    > structure,
    > which is at the same time, the structure of Adam and the structure of
> [...]

    Sheila McGinty
    sheila-mcginty@geotec.net

    This mail sent through GeoTEC Webmail: webmail.geotec.net