RE: I didn't think Adam had the capacity for error until Eve was created...

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstrong@grand-canyon.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 00:07:35 EST

    Mea culpa. Sarcasm comes a little too easy to me and you are diminished
    by my response.

    For that I apologize.

    I didn't find much else to resonate with here.

    Yes, I see where you are coming from, I think. But it seems to me that
    interpreting Biblical teachings through non-canonical works is
    essentially a contradiction. Most (all?) writings like the Gospels of
    Thomas and Philip were eliminated precisely because they were not
    consonant with the core consensus of the voices of the canon. It's not
    inappropriate to read them for context of the times and understanding of
    various groups' beliefs, but the Gospels of Thomas and Philip in
    particular were passed over when making the several canonical cuts
    [Gospel of Thomas specifically excluded by Origen, for example, and the
    Gospel of Philip doesn't seem to have been in the running]. So, why
    would one look to them for clarification and subtle meanings of passages
    in the canon itself. I'm not even talking about inspiration here, just
    logic. Case in point: "Then on page 227, "Man and God are each only a
    half finished, incomplete form." While this may be part of your
    personal theology - and you are certainly entitled to it - the
    remarkably anthropocentric idea of God being incomplete without man
    isn't going to win any points with any of the canon compilation crews,
    nor I venture in our own time with many participants in this particular
    thread.

    Still, it was an interesting tour!

    JimA