Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 01:16:26 EST

    At 9:25 PM -0700 1/20/03, Jim Armstrong wrote:
    >I think I'm with Burgy on this one. We should proceed with great and
    >tempered caution - the human genome findings have every potential to
    >present the Christian community (of which I am a part) with one of
    >the greatest challenges of this new millenium, should it identify a
    >genetic link to homosexuality.

    Why? Does the existence of a genetic or physical-chemical basis for
    some sinful behavior excuse it?

    If our fallenness extends to our genomes then there's really nothing
    surprising about finding a genetic or physical-chemical basis for
    homosexual tendencies or any other tendencies that might be deemed
    sinful. If someone has a particular disposition toward some sin for
    whatever reason--genetic, upbringing, hormonal imbalances, abusive
    past, etc.--they simply must take greater care in resisting that
    particular sin.

    Some of us, for whatever reason (possibly any or all of the above)
    have short tempers. Those who do must take special care to guard
    against that particular sin, perhaps in ways that others don't have
    to worry about. We all have temptations created by internal and
    external factors that must be resisted. It is true, of course, that
    some temptations are more culturally acceptable than others and that
    succumbing to them is seen as being more heinous.

    I think it's a big mistake to define "normal" as "whatever is in the
    genome". For the Christian, normal is what scripture, rightly
    interpreted, says. (Yes, I know, that doesn't necessarily answer all
    the hard questions.)

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523