Re: An interesting essay for evangelicals

From: Keith Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 20:37:03 EST

    > For instance, gays are often damned with the adjective "unnatural".
    > They,
    > not unreasonably reply "unnatural for whom?" The potential for same-sex
    > covenant love to exceed heterosexual marriage in its capacity to
    > generate
    > personal devotion and self-sacrifice is clearly attested in story of
    > David and Jonathan. Was their friendship "unnatural"? The Church
    > replies
    > that by "unnatural" it does not mean homophile affection as such, but
    > the
    > genital acts to which such affection may lead.

    For what its worth, I did not interpret the above as claiming that the
    relationship of David and Jonathan was homosexual. It seems the author
    is asking for a clear distinction between a deep and profound brotherly
    love between people of the same sex, and a homosexual love proscribed
    by scripture. What exactly is being condemned by scripture? Is it
    just the sexual act? How do we respond to those who feel attracted to
    someone of the same sex but remain celebate? How do we distinguish
    between deep feelings of love toward a fellow brother or sister, and an
    affection that is homosexual? I think that these are all valid
    questions. I also think, that as in all of life, we may not find
    clear black and white answers.

    Keith