Re:

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 18:39:06 EST

    The thing I find odd about ethanol is that I have
    heard it said that modern food production to be at a
    caloric loss. That is the amount of energy that it
    costs to grow the plants is greater than the amount of
    energy in the parts that are eaten.

    Certainly, corn with the petroleum based fertilizers,
    the gas to run the equipment to plant and harvest,
    etc. cannot be an efficient way to make gasoline. In
    fact, with the additional energy necessary to make the
    ethanol, I would figure that the energy in the
    gasoline thus produced may be less than the sum total
    of energy to produce that gasoline, making it not
    viable as a replacement for gasoline. But I may be
    misinformed on the data re the cost of ethanol.