Re: Some Comments on Radiometric dating.

From: Jim Armstrong (jarmstro@qwest.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 20:58:53 EST

    I'm not a geologist, and I take your word on the evident age inversion.
    But I have this observation. It seems, even somewhat implicit in your
    description, that there is a backdrop of a substantial body of data
    correlating geological layers and ordering of radiometrically determined
    ages (by more than one technique as I faintly recall) that has resulted
    in radiometric aging being broadly accepted tool for age determination.
    The geologic dynamics of the Earth are certainly complex, and it is not
    unusual to find a small number of anomalies in even well-understood
    systems with this degree of complexity.

    You appear to feel that the anomalies such as you describe occur in
    sufficient numbers to overcome the large amount of data that correlated
    well enough to allow radiometric dating to be broadly accepted by so
    many earth scientists. Further, you suggest that the biases of a pretty
    substantial number of scientists compromised enough of the data
    underlying the acceptance of radiometric dating so as to invalidate the
    technique. I have a bit of a problem with that. It seems to me like
    radiometric dating has been vetted by too many people, over too long a
    period, by too many alternative processes, and through too many
    noncontradictory findings to easily set it aside in the presence of one
    or a small number (I am guessing) of anomalous configurations like the
    Uinkaret. That is not to say that the Uinkaret should be ignored (and I
    bet it isn't!), because it has the potential to teach us when understood
    (part of your message). But it seems to me that the weight of this
    relatively isolated finding is not sufficiently persuasive to discard
    the conclusions drawn from the much larger body of samplings and
    correlations requisite to the general acceptance of radiometric dating.

    Is this something more than anomaly?

    Regards Jim Armstrong