Re: Duplicate Genes

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 19:16:48 EST

    >So a few offhand questions:
    >Can we really assess the genome and proclaim that it is filled with
    >junk (and "not optimally designed" as quoted from the News and Views
    >article) in light of this study?<

    Not unless there is some definition of what is being optimized.
    There is certainly a lot of DNA in most eukaryotic genomes that does
    not serve any known purpose, much of which is not duplicate genes.
    Many species have a lot more DNA than others, suggesting that much of
    it is extraneous. All of this extra DNA has some potential (though
    often rather low potential) of evolving into something useful.
    Major DNA duplication events (probable duplication of most if not all
    of the genome) are associated with the origins of some evolutionary
    lineages that went on to become quite succesful, e.g. the
    vertebrates. On the other hand, more DNA takes more copying time,
    limiting the rate of cell division and thus of reproduction.

    Thus, we can say that the genome does not look as though it were
    designed as a finished product, assembled for maximum efficiency of
    self-replication, with every gene individually optimized. The genome
    does appear to be quite good as a compromise between stability and
    adaptability, which is what it should be to be an evolutionary
    success.

    >Does the fact that duplicated genes contribute to genetic robustness
    >support the conclusion of design or evolution?<

    What definition of design is intended? By providing a useful backup
    system in case of deleterious mutation, duplications can provide an
    evolutionary advantage. Duplicated genes provide an important source
    of evolutionary raw material, which tends to be detrimental to
    arguments claiming the improbability of evolving a given sequence.
    Some ancient gene duplications suggest stepwise evolution of complex
    systems (which today require both copies), contrary to some design
    claims. A designer intending a system to be robust to mutation and
    able to evolve might include such features.

    >Taking this data into account does the presence of duplicated genes
    >by themselves indicate clearly that they must be products of
    >evolution?<
    It does not require it. Obviously the duplicate genes that I produce
    with a PCR machine are not products of evolution. However, there are
    numerous ready mechanisms for gene duplication in organisms, so the
    presence of gene duplications within a genome is no grounds for
    suspicion of outside imposition of design.

    >What does the fact that deleting one copy of a duplicate gene 12.4%
    >of the time causes lethality indicate about the purpose of duplicate
    >genes? Simply raw material for evolution, or perhaps requisite
    >components of a well-designed system needed for reasons not yet
    >determined?<

    If multiple truly identical gene copies are necessary for cell
    survival, this suggests that a single copy does not have a high
    enough level of expression. Cells have a variety of mechanisms for
    controlling the expression level of a gene, gene copy number being
    one. Thus, a designed system would not require duplicate genes;
    other methods would also work. They could be a means selected by a
    designer; they are also quite easily generated by ordinary processes.
    If a designer makes extensive use of evolutionary means, then he
    might want to design a good source of evolutionary raw material.
    However, such a designer is not the one envisioned by most ID
    advocates.

    >Consider also the comments concerning the growth conditions that the
    >authors make in the last paragraph of the original paper in regards
    >to this question.<

    It is actually detrimental to the claim that duplicates are an
    integral part of a functional genome, because in real life most
    organisms do not have to function in multiple, disparate growth
    conditions. The fact that a gene is necessary to survival under some
    condition contrived in the lab does not mean that a real organism out
    in the wild would have trouble without it. If the duplicate copy is
    vital only under certain conditions, then the duplicates are useful
    safety mechanisms but not essential.

    Another problem is the risk that similar independent genes are
    mistaken for duplicates in some cases, since the identified
    duplicates vary in the degree of similarity.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0345 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa

    From: "Josh Bembenek" <jbembe@hotmail.com>
    Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:48:31 +0000