Re: Does the Bible teach a flat earth?

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 17:00:08 EST

    Well that creates a problem.

    We must dismiss all classical writers eg Plato aristotle etc as of being of
    no value as they were geocentrist and possibly did not believe the earth to
    be old.

    Homer is a load of rubbish becuase it is flat earth.

    The Origin of Species is bunk because Darwin didnt accept genetic , DNA or
    platetectonics

    Shakespeare is bunk because he says the earth is only 6000 years old - he
    may have been geocentrist as well

    Bertarand Russell is wrong in his atheism cos he didnt accept plate
    tectonics or the genetic basis of behaviour

    David Hume cos he did not accept evolution or geological ages or the atomic
    theory.

    Can you really dismiss all these along with the Bible.

    Every writer or thinker is a child of their time and thus expresses things
    in the science and thought of their day. If this makes the Bible invalid,
    then every other writing is invalid too.

    One of the most stupid statements ever written was that of the
    paleontologist GG simpson quoted approvingly by Dawkins in the Selfish
    Gene that any attempt before 1859 to answer the question s What are we for?
    Is there a meaning to life? etc etc are worthless.
    How stupid can atheists get?

    Think of all the literature Christian and non-christian which is worthless -
    not to mention the American constitution!

    Michael