Re: spong's bad assumptions and virgin births - for jim

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 18:51:40 EST

    George Murphy wrote:
    2 points concerning the following:
             1) In spite of the fact that almost everyone refers to the
    accounts of Jesus'
    origin in Mt & Lk as being about "virgin birth", let me point out
    again that what they
    speak of is virginal _conception_. Virgin _birth_, strictly
    speaking, is the belief
    that Mary retained her virginity in the process of giving birth.
    That has also been a
    popular belief - & not only among Roman Catholics & Orthodox - but it
    is distinct from
    virginal conception & does not have explicit biblical support as
    virginal conception
    does.
             2) The natural reading of Genesis 1:26-28 is that _adham_
    here means "man" in
    the collective (& inclusive) sense or "humankind" (NRSV) rather than
    to a single
    individual named "Adam" - pace the Zohar, the Gospel of Thomas &
    other speculations
    about the androgyny of the first human. The account of the creation
    of humanity in
    Genesis 2:4b-25 is of course different, but these are two different
    creation accounts.

                                                                     Shalom,
                                                                     George

    --