RE: The naturalist Philosophy

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 18:38:27 EDT

    Blake Nelson wrote Friday, August 30, 2002 10:33 AM:
    >What seems to be missing from science courses is a
    >basic understanding of the philosophy of science and
    >the nature of and limits of scientific knowledge.
    >This is different than having an entire philosophy
    >course for students, but is essential, it seems, to
    >distinguish between methodological and metaphysical
    >naturalism.

    I think this is a major failing of US education. I am always amazed by the
    poor logic I find among my colleagues (scientists in industry). We teach
    science without teaching logic and since science is based upon logic, a
    course in logic should be pre-requisite. So I would advocate an actual
    course in logic. No matter what the student does for a living, from being an
    auto-mechanic to a nuclear scientist, logic plays a huge role in our lives.
    Such a course would also go a ways towards dispelling the silly illogic of
    young-earth creationism.

    personal stories of struggle