Bio: Sam Olsen

From: Samuel.D.Olsen@rf.no
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 11:57:54 EDT

    Name: Samuel D. Olsen
    Age: 51
    Family: Married to Lucy for 21 yrs.
               We have 4 sons: Stephen, Daniel, Timothy and Peter.

    Education: 1974: B.Sc Chemistry and Geology, Pretoria University, South
    Africa
               1980: M.Sc Analytical Chemistry, Pretoria University, South
    Africa
               1998: Ph.D Geochemistry, University of Newcastle, U.K.

    Work:
          1972-1974: University of Pretoria - Laboratory Technician
          74-75: Union Corporation, Zimbabwe - Exploration Geochemist
          76,85: University of Pretoria/Mabopane Technikon - Lecturer in
    Analytical Chemistry
          77-80: Geological Survey of South Africa - Analytical Chemist
          81-84: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Pretoria -
    Analytical Chemist
          86-88: Dept. of Pharmacology, UOFS, Bloemfontein - Analytical Chemist
          89-01: Rogaland Research Institute, Stavanger - Research Scientist
          02- : St. Olavs high school, Stavanger - Chemistry, Maths and Physics
    teacher

    Church background:
    Parents were missionaries sent to Africa (Swaziland and Lesotho) by the
    Norwegian Pentecostal Church.
    I made a commitment to follow Christ as Lord and Saviour at age 12.
    My wife and I have been active members of Methodist, Nazarene and Baptist
    Churches. We are at present associated with the Baptist denomination. (I
    have led the Science and Faith Seminar at the European Baptist Convention,
    Interlaken, Switzerland in 2000, 2001. Booked to lead it in 03)

    Present interest:
    The working of the brain, perception and world views. Books read: The
    Scientific American Book of the Brain. Journey through Mind and Body:
    Emotions/The Brain. Kandel's Principles of Neural Science. Why God won't go
    away.Myers and Jeeves Psychology. Frankl's Man's search for Meaning.

    The influence of cultural change: From the Holy Mountain: A journey among
    the Christians of the Middle East. (The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind)
    Still to be read in this category: Thinking through cultures and Culture in
    Mind.

    ASA: Been a member since about 1992. Have learned much from listening to
    discussions and reading the different views.

    Outside interests:
    Hiking, tennis, soccer.

    Samuel Olsen
    Kong Haraldsgate 33A