BIO: Alexanian

From: alexanian@uncw.edu
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 21:36:04 EDT

    NAME: Moorad Alexanian

    AGE: Born in Havana, Cuba in 12/28/36

    FAMILY BACKGROUND: My mother, father, grandmothers, and one uncle
    survived the Armenian Genocide perpetrated by the Ottoman Turks in
    1915. All other relatives perished. My father, at the age of
    twelve, witnessed the shooting of his father by a Turkish soldier.
    My parents met in Cuba, where my two sisters, brother, and I were
    born. In 1954 I came to the USA, completed high school, and received
    my PhD in quantum field theory from Indiana University in Bloomington
    in 1964. You can view part of my curriculum vita at
    http://origins.swau.edu/who/moorad/default.html

    RELIGION: Armenian Apostolic/Evangelical. Armenia became the first
    nation to adopt Christianity as a state religion in the year 301 A.D.
    The apostles Thaddeus and Bartholomew spread the Good News to
    Armenia, where they were martyred. Today Armenia is a free nation
    thanks to the disintegration of the Soviet Union brought about by the
    policies of the Reagan presidency.

    FAMILY: I married my high school sweetheart in 1960 and have three
    children (Mariam, Sona, and Aram). Our son Aram was born in Mexico
    in 1973 while I was a professor in a graduate school in Mexico City
    (CINVESTAV). My greatest concern upon arriving in Mexico in 1970 was
    how to raise our two young daughters in the absence of relatives and
    friends. Early on, Mary got involved in Bible studies with American
    missionaries of different denominations. Later, I began to
    participate in her studies. The following verse was an answer to
    prayers: ’ÄúFathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring
    them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.’Äù Eph. 6:4.
    In the process of teaching my girls about the Lord, I was convicted
    and became a Christian in 1971. Mary and I are blessed with 5
    grandchildren.

    WORLDVIEW: As a physicist, I know the physical aspect of reality and
    as a Christian; I understand the spiritual aspect of the same. I
    know what science is and what it is not. I personally know our Lord
    and Savior Jesus the Christ. However, how the whole thing jibes
    together is the greatest mystery confronting humans. The answer lies
    in the verse: ’Äúfrom the full assurance of understanding, resulting
    in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in
    whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.’Äù Col.
    2:2-3. Human consciousness and reasoning is limited in the attempt
    of understanding the whole of reality. We ought not be fooled into
    believing that we can achieve complete understanding while alive.
    Let it not be said of us, ’ÄúProfessing to be wise, they became
    fools.’Äù Rom. 1:22.