RE: Coal and YEC models

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 13:17:50 EDT

    I wrote:
    >> The quantity of coal in John Hunt's work is all in the world, including
    >thin seams.

    Bill asked:
    >Does Hunt include lignite as coal? What about peat?

    I went back to check Hunt and must correct one erroneous thing I said. He
    does NOT include the thin seams. Hunt writes:

    "Averitt (1969, p. 82) estimated total coal originally in place for 50
    countries of the world to be about 17 × 10^12 tons, which is equivalent to
    15 × 10^18 g. As coal occurs in stratified beds which continue over
    extensive areas, this figure probably is fairly accurate. It does not
    include, however, the small thin beds of coal that are generally disregarded
    by mining geologists."

    Now, coal reserves, outlined in BP's Statistical Review of Energy, are 1 x
    10^18 g of carbon or approximately 1 x 10^12 tons. Reserves are what you can
    feasibly get out of the ground. There is no way to get coal out of the
    ground if it is 10,000 feet down.

    In looking up the database begun by Averitt it includes lignite but not
    peat.

    And I might note that one can use a lognormal distribution to statistically
    estimate the total quantity of coal on earth and it would be significantly
    larger than the above values.

    personal stories of struggle